Wallaceburg Tartans swimmer Shona Branton smashed a four-year-old meet record by two seconds in the open girls 100 metre breaststroke at the Blue Trojan Brantford Swimming Invitational last week.
“Open swimmers are not separated by age so this means junior and senior swimmers swim together in the open level,” said Nancy Schinkelshoek, the coach of the Tartan Swim team.
“What makes this even more of an accomplishment is that Shona captured the first place standing and the record as a Grade 10 student.”
The Tartans also recorded new SWOSSAA qualifiers on Thursday at the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre:
– Megan Maxim and Alyssaa Wadsworth in the Sr. girls 100 metre IM and 100 metre breaststroke
– Shona Branton in the open girls 50 metre freestyle and the 100 metre freestyle.
First place finishers:
– Tallie Laprise in Sr. girls 100 metre freestyle
– Megan Maxim in Sr. girls 100 metre breaststroke
– Shona Branton in open girls 100 metre breaststroke
– Sr. girls freestyle relay – Shona Branton, Alyssa Wadsworth, Megan Maxim and Tallie Laprise
Second place finishers:
– Tallie Laprise in Sr. girls 100 metre IM and 50 metre freestyle
– Megan Maxim in Sr. girls 50 metre fly
Third place finishers:
– Shona Branton in open girls 50 metre freestyle and 100 metre freestyle
– Alyssa Wadsworth in Sr. girls 100 metre freestyle
4th place finish:
– Megan Maxim in 100 metre IM
5th place finish:
– Alyssa Wadsworth in 100 metre breaststroke
6th place finish:
– 200 metre mixed freestyle relay: Zoe Broadbent, Liam Hurst, Alvaro Escardero and Elena Dratva