(Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services)

Fire officials are blaming an electrical issue for an accidental blaze at an apartment complex at 140 Park Ave. East in Chatham on Monday.

Fire crews from station #1 & #2 were called to the apartments just after 10 a.m., fire officials stated.

Upon arrival firefighters discovered a fire on the 3rd floor and quickly extinguished the blaze preventing the fire from spreading to other units.

On person was treated by EMS at the scene for smoke inhalation.

“Reminder to anyone living in an apartment building to never ignore the fire alarm,” stated Whitney Burk public educator, in a press release.

“If there is a fire in your unit, get out and close the door behind you.”

A damage estimate was not provided.


– Photo credit: Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services