Chatham-Kent Children’s Safety Village officials are thrilled after holding Farm Safety Day at their Fargo Road facility.
Barb Lovell, executive director, said they had a great day with two big announcements.
“Thompson’s Limited out of Blenheim are sponsoring the ‘Tug-of-War’ Unit used to teach ‘Grain Safety’ for local Grade 6 students for a Farm Safety program offered each January to local schools,” Lovell said in an email.
“Unveiling of the Chatham-Kent Children’s Safety Village partnered with Chatham-Kent O.P.P. to manufacture an ATV Simulator teaching ATV Safety & Awareness in Chatham-Kent that will also be used for the Farm Safety Program offered each January to local Grade 6 students.
Lovell added: “The ATV simulator was manufactured right here in Chatham-Kent. M.P.T. Technologies from Dresden, Applied Technologies out of Chatham & Bob’s Motor Sport out of Chatham Both will be on display at the International Plowing Match and hoping to take throughout Chatham-Kent and surrounding areas and throughout Ontario.”
Other events that took place, included:
– A mock ATV Accident to illustrate during lunch how fast things can go wrong.
– Bus Safety – First Student
– O.P.P. Rollover Simulator
– Jordan Lesy from McGrail Farm Equipment with a powerful Power Take Off Demonstration, lawn mower safety, chain saw safety and tractor safety
– Animal Safety with TJ Stables
– Honey Bee Farm with Mike & Denise Dodman
– Meet and Greet with Emergency Services
– Wind Energy from South Kent Wind/Relay Education
– Greeting & Plinko Game was Dresden Exhibition Ambassador
– Apples provided by Delhaven Orchards
– Elmer the Safety Elephant
“Students were lead in groups by volunteers to 19 various exhibits illustrating safety and injury prevention on the farm for local youth, thanks to the many sponsors, volunteers and donors who made this possible,” Lovell said.
“According to the most recent report from Canadian Agricultural Injury Reporting (CAIR), ‘an average of 13 children die every year as a result of agricultural incidents in Canada.'”
Here are some submitted photos from the event: