(GoFundMe)

An online crowdfunding campaign has been launched for a Wallaceburg family, who were impacted by a fire at their Elgin Street home.

Firefighters responded to a structure fire at the home of Rick Bernard and Loree Bailey at 44 Elgin Street in Wallaceburg at 10:46 a.m. on Sunday morning, April 28.

“Loree and Rick got a call while attending Church that their home was on fire,” the GoFundMe page says.

“Cathy, Loree’s elderly mother was home with their dog Dakota. She quickly closed the basement door and got them both outside. This contained the majority of the fire to the basement. The smoke would engulf and damage every inch of their home.”

Damage is estimated at $30,000 and the cause has been ruled accidental.

“You might recognize Rick from his fundraising for the Ronald McDonald House, and his accident last year while training for his ‘Ride For Hope’,” the GoFundMe page says.

“Rick and Loree built the Little Free Pantry and make sure it is filled for members of Wallaceburg that are in need. Every month they cook a community meal at the Bethel Pentecostal Church. They are board members for Chatham Hope Haven men’s shelter. They distribute soup to people in need every week. They give to their community. They love their community and are committed to impacting and making it a better place.”

The fire has put them all out of their home, the GoFundMe page says.

“If anyone has ever needed the support of their community, it’s this family.”

In four days since the crowdfunding campaign began, a total of $2,473 of their $15,000 goal has been raised.

To donate, click here.