Tuesday, December 10, 2019

‘Careless smoking’ leads to house fire in Chatham

(Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services)

Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services officials say “careless smoking” led to a house fire in Chatham on Wednesday, June 12.

Firefighters were dispatched to 145 O’Neil Street in Chatham just after 1 p.m.

“On arrival, they encounter heavy flames at the rear of the home,” stated Assistant Chief Philip Thorburn, in a media release.

“Crews worked quickly to extinguish the flames but were on-scene for an extended period to ensure that all deep-seated burning was extinguished. The fire caused extensive damage to the home.”

Thorburn said everyone was out of the home by the time the fire department arrived.

“A neighbour noticed the fire on the exterior of the home and alerted the lone occupant,” Thorburn stated.

“There were no report of injuries at the fire.”

The quick action of the fire crews prevented the fire from spreading to a neighbouring home.

“The fire originated on the exterior of the home and is believed to have started because of careless smoking,” Thorburn said in a media release.

Damage is estimated at $200,000.

- Advertisment -