Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Public high schools closed, one day strike proceeding

The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) has confirmed its members will join their colleagues across the province in a legal strike, involving a one-day, full withdrawal of services, on Wednesday, December 4, 2019.​

“As such, all Lambton Kent District School Board secondary schools or any programs currently under the supervision of an OSSTF member at a Board or affiliated location are closed to secondary students on Wednesday, December 4 and will reopen to secondary students on Thursday, December 5,” Lambton-Kent District School Board officials said in a statement.

“All elementary schools will be open to students on Wednesday, December 4, including Grade 7-8 programs​ and alternative elementary school programs located within LKDSB secondary schools or other Board facilities. Elementary student transportation will run as scheduled on December 4.”

Please visit the LKDSB website for updated information regarding contract negotiations: www.lkdsb.net.

St. Clair Catholic District School Board secondary schools are not impacted by the job action.

OSSTF officials issued the following statement earlier this morning.

“After four consecutive days at the bargaining table, during which the government advanced not one proposal addressing major issues that affect the quality of education in Ontario, teachers and education workers represented by the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation began a one day, province-wide walkout at one minute after midnight this morning,” OSSTF officials stated.

“OSSTF/FEESO remains committed to the bargaining process and will continue to be prepared to engage in meaningful discussion about the issues that affect our students’ learning environments.”

Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education, issued the following statement on the status of negotiations.

“My message to parents, on the eve of potential job action, is that our Government has remained reasonable at the negotiating table, with the objective of keeping students in class,” Lecce stated.

“I am reaffirming my commitment to examining innovative solutions to avoid a strike. I am open to a framework that achieves our goal of reaching a deal that keeps students in the classroom.”

Lecce said it has been over 200 days since they first started bargaining with OSSTF.

“And in that time, they have not made any substantive moves since their first proposal was tabled,” Lecce stated.

“Even while the Government made enhanced offers, there is no indication OSSTF intends to make any moves, except to affirm their insistence on a $1.5 billion increase in pay and benefits.”

Lecce added: “The onus is on OSSTF to be reasonable, stay at the table, and to cancel this needless escalation that is hurting children, parents, and families.”

Watch for more updates on this story.

- Advertisment -