Lambton OPP officials allege: On March 3, 2023, at 3 p.m., members of the Walpole Island Police Service (WIPS) conducted a traffic stop on Tecumseh Road on a vehicle displaying stolen number plates.
The driver was taken into custody and a search of the vehicle led to the seizure of suspected fentanyl.
A 58-year-old Walpole Island First Nation man was charged with the following:
– Possession of a schedule 1 substance for the purpose of trafficking and,
– Possession of property obtained by crime – under $5,000.
The accused was released and was scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at a later date.
On March 6, 2023, at 9:30 p.m., members of the Walpole Island Police Service (WIPS) attempted to conduct a traffic stop on River Road for an un-plated vehicle.
The driver fled to a nearby residence where they were taken into custody.
A search, incident to arrest, resulted in the seizure of a loaded firearm and suspected fentanyl.
The same 58-year-old Walpole Island First Nation man was charged with the following:
– Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm,
– Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition,
– Possession of a firearm knowing serial number has been tampered with,
– Resist peace officer,
– Obstruct peace officer,
– Flight from peace officer,
– Failure to comply with undertaking (two counts),
– Possession of a schedule 1 substance (two counts) and,
– Multiple Highway traffic act, Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act and Off-Road Vehicles Act offences.
The accused was remanded into custody following a bail hearing.
If you have information on this event or any other crime activity in the area, contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or *OPP (677) on your mobile phone.
Your call could make our communities safer for all.
Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), or submit a tip online at www.sarnialambtoncrimestoppers.org where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.