Ford touts infrastructure, housing and economic plan in address to municipal leaders

Premier Doug Ford outlined the province’s response to U.S. tariffs, wildfire recovery efforts and a series of infrastructure and housing investments in a speech Monday to the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) annual conference.

Ford opened by thanking firefighters battling wildfires in northern Ontario and the communities hosting evacuees. “Since our government took office, we have spent nearly $1.5 billion to fight wildland fires,” he said, adding the province is adding six new water bombers and five new helicopters to its fleet.

Ford also addressed ongoing trade tensions with the United States, including what he described as “President Trump’s latest threat of new tariffs up to 50 per cent.” He said Ontario is prepared for any scenario but continues to push for a united response. “Canada, the United States and Mexico are so much stronger when we work together,” he said.

The premier pointed to the province’s economic record, saying Ontario has attracted more than $235 billion in investment since 2018 and created more than one million jobs, with 52,000 new jobs added in July alone. “We have never raised a tax — and we never will,” he said, citing $12 billion in annual tax and fee cuts.

Ford also discussed the province’s newly announced Data Centre Playbook, saying data centres will be required to cover the full cost of their electricity use and that Ontario will not offer financial incentives to attract them. “We will only advance projects that strengthen Ontario and Canada’s control over sensitive data,” he said.

He touched on the Ring of Fire, saying work on roads to the region, done in partnership with First Nations, is underway and will be completed five years ahead of schedule, which he said will unlock $22 billion in economic opportunity and 70,000 jobs. He also referenced the proposed Northern Shield Energy Corridor, a pipeline intended to carry Canadian oil from Alberta to Sarnia.

On housing, Ford highlighted the province’s $8.8-billion partnership with the federal government to fund housing-enabling infrastructure in municipalities that reduce development charges, noting Toronto received $1.5 billion in June after cutting its charges by up to 60 per cent. “There’s never been a better time to buy. There’s never been a better time to build,” he said, citing a 130 per cent increase in new home sales compared with last year.

Ford also announced that applications for the next round of the province’s Community Sport and Recreation Infrastructure Fund, increased to $500 million in this year’s budget, are now open. “These projects are creating good-paying local jobs and world-class community spaces that residents can enjoy for decades to come,” he said.

The premier closed by reiterating the province’s commitment to working with municipalities on economic growth and public safety. “I have never been more optimistic about our province’s future,” he said.

- Advertisment -