(Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services)

An accidental stove top fire caused $100,000 damage to a house in Chatham.

Firefighters from Stations #1 & #2 in Chatham were called to a blaze on Campus Parkway at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday evening.

Crews arrived to heavy smoke coming from the residence, Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services officials say.

Crews executed an interior search of the house and confirmed that everyone was out safely.

Firefighters rapidly extinguished the fire which was located in the main floor kitchen.

“The homeowner came home, opened the front door and found the house was full of thick black smoke,” stated Chris Case, assistant fire chief, in a press release.

“She quickly closed the door, went to a safe location and called 911. She did all the right things. A pot had been left on the stove, such an easy thing to be distracted and do this, but the consequences can be tragic.”

Case added: “Fires in the home are devastating at any time of the year, the damage from the fire, the smell of smoke and the water used to fight the blaze make a terrible mess. Fires during the holiday season are particularly heart-breaking and whilst we are relieved that nobody was hurt in this fire, it will be a difficult time for this family to get their home back to how it was and to enjoy the festive period.”

Firefighters are returning to the area of Campus Parkway today, going door-to-door to check alarms, discuss home escape planning and remind the community about safe cooking, which is the number one cause of residential fires in Ontario.

“Stove top fires are the most common type of cooking fire,” stated Whitney Burk, public educator, in a press release.

“We have a lot on our minds during the holidays and it is easy to get sidetracked, thus we are asking everyone to stay in the kitchen when cooking and always double check that the stove and oven are shut off.”

The risk of having a fire in your home increases this time of the year.

The best and most important thing is to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

For more information visit www.ckfes.ca or request a CHiRP Home Alarm Check by calling 519-360-1998.


– Photo credit: Chatham-Kent Fire & Emergency Services

Leave a Reply

  • (not be published)