The inaugural ceremony for the newly elected Chatham-Kent Council is taking place tonight, December 3, in Chatham.
The ceremony begins at 6 p.m. at the John D. Bradley Convention Centre and is open to the public.
“(Tonight) we make it official,” tweeted Mayor-Elect Darrin Canniff.
“I encourage you to come out to the John D. Bradley Centre at 6 p.m. to support the new councillors and I as we officially take office. Thank you all for the support over the last several months. Let’s get to work!”
Here is the agenda for the evening:
– Marching of Dignitaries and Placing of Flags: Chatham-Kent Honour Guard
– O’ Canada: CKSS Choir
– Town Crier: George L. Sims
– Call to Order & Official Welcome: Don Shropshire, CAO
– Introduction of Clergy & Judiciary: Don Shropshire, CAO
– Statement of Election: Judy Smith, Clerk
– Invocation & Remarks: Father Don Pumputis
– Remarks: Honourable Stephen J. Fuerth
– Swearing in of Darrin Canniff, Mayor: Honourable Stephen J. Fuerth
– Swearing in of Members of Council: Honourable Stephen J. Fuerth
– Messages from Members of Parliament: Dave Van Kesteren, MP, Bev Shipley, MP
– Messages from Members of Provincial Parliament: Rick Nicholls, MPP, Monte McNaughton, MPP
– Inaugural Address: Mayor Darrin Canniff
– Closing Prayer: Pastor Alan McIntyre
– Marching of Dignitaries: Chatham-Kent Honour Guard
Council will meet in regular session on Monday, December 10 for their first business meeting.
A combined planning and regular Council meeting will be held on Monday, December 17 as well.
Both of these meeting begin at 6 p.m. at the Civic Centre in Chatham.