A group of volunteers in the St. Clair Township area have joined together to support the community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A COVID-19: Volunteer Community Response Team has been created, serving the residents of Sombra, Port Lambton and Wilkesport.
“The following supports have been put in place for senior citizens, those in self-isolation, those with mobility challenges, people with compromised immune systems and those with young children,” the group said.
“If you require assistance in any of the following areas, please reach out to the appropriate contact or Jenn Baker by text or phone at 519-330-5422.”
Volunteers will reach out to vulnerable people or those requiring assistance by way of telephone.
They will provide guidance and assistance for daily living by setting them up with appropriate contacts for grocery delivery, prescription pick-up, home maintenance, etc.
If you or a loved one would like to be added to the call list, please contact Anne Hazzard at 519-784-1623. This service began on Monday, March 23, 2020.
Meals on Wheels
Lambton Elderly Outreach delivers frozen meals in the Port Lambton and Sombra area.
For deliveries, you can phone Meegan de Bock LEO Meals on Wheels coordinator at 519-845-1353 ext. 221 or 1-800-265-0203.
There will be a brief intake phone call.
You can phone in your order and meals will be delivered to your home every two weeks.
You can order as many or as few as you would like.
Locally, you can contact Susan Vollmar (LEO volunteer), if you have any questions or would like more information at 519-677-4088 or by e-mail at email@example.com
Volunteers will pick up pre-ordered/pre-paid groceries and deliver to your doorstep from the following:
– Port Lambton Food Town: They will be accepting call ahead orders between the hours of 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Orders must be pre-paid over the phone by way of Mastercard or Visa. This service excludes the purchase of alcohol, lottery, and tobacco products. Volunteers will pick-up prepaid items and deliver to your doorstep the same day between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Items will be left on doorsteps. For safety purposes we ask that you refrain from interacting with volunteers. Orders can be placed by calling Port Lambton Food Town at 519-677-4428. This service will operate seven days a week beginning Monday, March 23 until further notice.
– Shakin’ Bait Variety: They will be accepting call ahead orders between the hours of 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Orders must be pre-paid over the phone by way of Mastercard or Visa. Volunteers will pick-up prepaid items and deliver to your doorstep the same day between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. Items will be left on doorsteps. For safety purposes we ask that you refrain from interacting with volunteers. Orders can be placed by calling the store at 519-677-1174. This service will operate seven days a week and started on Monday, March 23 until further notice.
Volunteers will assist those unable to maintain their property due to illness, self-isolation, child-care responsibilities or absence of regular caretakers.
We can offer yard work, raking, snow removal, grass cutting, trimming, gardening, pet clean-up, hose hook-up, dog walking, filling of gas cans and bird feeders, setting up lawn furniture, and taking garbage and recycling to the curb.
For mutual safety, we ask that social distancing is respected while our volunteers assist at your home.
If you or a loved one would like to access this service, please contact Colin and Kate Miller at 519-677-5974 or 519-330-2012 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
This service began on Monday, March 23, 2020.
Prayers and Emotional Support
Residents that would like to pray, receive emotional support, or would just like someone to engage in friendly conversation with are encouraged to contact:
– Pastor Doreen Hewitson/Port Lambton United Church at 519-892-3232, 519-365-6597 or by e-mail at email@example.com
– Maritza Rodriguez (Registered Psychotherapist) at 519-402-6422 (calls will be returned within 24hrs)
– Trish Brown (a friendly ear and can offer suggestions for relaxational and stress relief) at 519-359-7148 or by e-mail at Trishasvoice@gmail.com
Port Lambton Community Facebook Page
If you have not already added this page to your Facebook, we encourage you to do so. If you have ideas on how we can spread cheer and positivity through this trying time, please share your ideas on this page. This may also be a great time to help others learn to use Facebook so that they do not feel so isolated and connect with loved ones through facetime.
“A final message to the members of our beautiful community… we all have a responsibility to do our part during this pandemic,” the group said.
“Let’s support one another, follow the recommended guidelines that have been put forth by our health care professionals and our government and most importantly love one another. We will get through this together.”
The organizers of the group also wanted to thank all of the volunteers for stepping up and making this Volunteer Community Response Team a reality
Follow the group on Facebook, here.