Ontario 2025 Budget tabled at Queen’s Park

Ontario’s latest provincial budget has been met with a chorus of mixed reactions as the government attempts to chart a path through economic headwinds and mounting trade tensions with the United States. Titled A Plan to Protect Ontario, the 2025 spending plan was tabled Wednesday at Queen’s Park by Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy, who framed it as both a shield against short-term disruptions and a strategy to build long-term economic resilience.

Bethlenfalvy said the budget focuses on protecting workers and businesses from the uncertainty fueled by American tariffs, while continuing to invest in health care, education, skills training, and critical infrastructure. He pointed to Ontario’s upgraded credit ratings in 2024 and its commitment to balancing the budget by 2027–28 as evidence that the province is on stable fiscal ground, even as it faces projected deficits of $6 billion this year and nearly $15 billion in 2025–26.

The government announced the creation of a $5-billion emergency fund to help businesses weather tariff-related disruptions, alongside new supports for Ontario’s critical minerals sector and domestic manufacturing. Bethlenfalvy said the province is doubling down on building its industrial base and strengthening supply chains to ensure Ontario is more self-reliant in a volatile global economy. The budget also makes previously temporary gas and fuel tax cuts permanent, while eliminating tolls on Highway 407 East — a move the government says will offer households relief from cost-of-living pressures.

Ontario is also pledging a record $200 billion over the next decade in capital investments, including hospitals, schools, roads and public transit. According to Bethlenfalvy, these projects are aimed at ensuring communities are better equipped to handle population growth and future economic shocks.

Despite the ambitious scale of the plan, the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) cautioned that the budget falls short of addressing deeper structural challenges facing cities and towns. In a statement, AMO President Robin Jones said the fiscal outlook remains troubling, with growing deficits and a cooling housing market putting pressure on future revenues. She welcomed new funding for local infrastructure, primary care, and economic development, and praised the budget’s recognition of how tariff uncertainty is impacting Ontario’s industries. Still, Jones said municipalities remain committed to pushing for a reformed provincial-municipal fiscal framework that reflects the evolving responsibilities local governments are being asked to shoulder.

The budget includes $40 million to support communities directly affected by trade and tariff pressures, as well as additional investments in job training, housing infrastructure, and modular construction. Bethlenfalvy emphasized the province’s intention to work with municipal and federal partners to drive job creation and protect Ontario’s competitiveness, calling the budget “a plan that reflects the government’s vision and the mandate we received from the people of this great province.”

Opposition leaders offered a more scathing assessment. NDP Leader Marit Stiles called the budget a “missed opportunity” to position Ontario for long-term strength, accusing Premier Doug Ford’s government of failing to provide meaningful support for working families, public services, or key sectors like auto manufacturing. Stiles said the budget lacked a coherent strategy to counter U.S. tariffs and left behind communities grappling with hospital closures, housing shortages, and underfunded schools.

Shadow Finance Minister Jessica Bell criticized the government’s approach as one marked by stagnation and cuts, pointing to reductions in funding for post-secondary education, social services, and emergency health infrastructure. Bell said the budget offered no new supports for special education, student transportation, or the province’s nutrition program, despite growing pressures in the classroom. She argued that the province’s housing targets remain out of reach, with home construction far behind the pace needed to build 1.5 million homes by 2031.

Stiles warned that without decisive investments in public infrastructure and a strategy to protect domestic jobs, Ontario risks falling further behind. “Schools, homes, hospitals are nation-building infrastructure to strengthen Ontario and build a tariff-proof future,” she said. “This is a band-aid budget that misses the mark on reassurance, relief, and results for the people of Ontario.”

Bethlenfalvy defended the government’s record, saying Ontario has faced challenges before and always emerged stronger. The budget, he said, reflects a determination to shield Ontario families and workers from global volatility while laying the foundation for long-term growth and prosperity. Whether that foundation proves sturdy enough for the years ahead remains to be seen.

- Advertisment -