The World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared COVID-19 as a global pandemic on Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Since then, the impact and ramifications have been felt on a local level.
Here is a list of information (click the banners to get information directly from the organization), closures and cancellations as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic:
Cancellations, closures & postponements
– The Knights of Pythias’ annual Easter Egg Hunt in Wallaceburg is cancelled.
– On March 28, 2020, the Ontario government issued a new emergency order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act to prohibit organized public events and social gatherings of more than five people, effective immediately. This order would not apply to private households with five people or more. It would also not apply to operating child care centres supporting frontline health care workers and first responders provided the number of persons at each centre does not exceed 50 people. Funerals would be permitted to proceed with up to 10 people at one time.
– Jesse Thistle Author Talk at the Kiwanis Theatre, Chatham Cultural Centre originally scheduled for Tuesday April 14 at 7:00 pm has been postponed.
– Chatham Branch Spring Used Book Sale originally scheduled for Wednesday, April 22 to Saturday, April 25 has been postponed. Wallaceburg Branch Used Book Sale was originally scheduled for April 22 to 25 and is also postponed.
– Purses With a Purpose was originally scheduled for Saturday, April 25 and will be postponed.
– Reading at the Ridge Book Club at the Ridge House Museum, in partnership with CK Museum, originally scheduled for Thursday, April 30 at 6:00 pm has been postponed.
– Read Local: Chatham-Kent Author Festival originally scheduled for Saturday, May 2 at 1:00 pm Chatham Branch has been postponed.
– The Wallaceburg Off-Leash Dog Park is closed as of March 28, 2020, until further notice.
– The John Waddell Dog Park in Chatham is closed until further notice.
– The Capitol Theatre have cancelled and/or postponed the following events: April 15: Movie Night (Terminator Dark Fate), April 17-19: Enpointe and Just Dance 2020 Dance Competition (postponed), April 22: Movie Night (The Song of Names), April 23: Capitol Theatre School Show – Goldirocks (postponed), April 29: Movie Night (Richard Jewell), May 23: Motown Soul (postponed) and June 8: The Stampeders.
– The Wallaceburg Chamber of Commerce will be closing effective Tuesday, March 24.
– The Chatham-Kent Public Library have temporarily paused the ability to put physical library items (books, DVDs, etc.) on hold while they are closed. You will still be able to place holds on their digital resources.
– Canadian Blood Services has cancelled the Wallaceburg Blood Clinic that was to be on Tuesday, April 7, 2020. The next scheduled clinic in Wallaceburg will be on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. The next scheduled clinic in Dresden is set for Tuesday, May 5, 2020.
– Hike for Hospice Chatham-Kent will be postponed until Sunday, June 14, 2020.
– The Easter Sunday Brunch on Sunday April 12 at the Brigden Fairgrounds is cancelled.
– Walpole Island First Nation declared a local state of emergency today, activating the Emergency Response Plan on Monday, March 23, 2020.
– The Ontario Government will order the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces effective as of Tuesday, March 24th at 11:59 p.m. This closure will be in effect for 14 days with the possibility of extending this order as the situation evolves.
– CKTransit announced the following reduction in service effective Saturday, March 21st, in response to limited staff resources and a severe decline in ridership: Routes 1, 2, 3, and 4 will operate from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM only, Monday – Saturday, on an alternating schedule throughout the day. Route 1 and 2 will depart the downtown terminal. After the first run, Route 1 will then complete Route 3, while Route 2 completes Route 4. Route 5 is suspended. Route 1 will service the bus stop in front of the Hospital and Courthouse; CKTransit On-Request evening service is suspended; The 6:45 PM departure for Inter Urban Routes A, C, and D is suspended. All other Inter-Urban route departure times from the Chatham Terminal remain; Chatham and Wallaceburg Accessible hours reduced to 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Saturday. Sunday service is suspended. The changes are in effect until further notice.
– All provincial parks will be closed to the public from March 19, 2020 until April 30, 2020. This includes car camping, backcountry camping, roofed accommodations, day use opportunities and all public buildings.
– All St. Clair Region Conservation Authority facilities are closed to the public indefinitely.
– Effective March 16th, the Longwoods Road Conservation Area Resource Centre/Museum was closed to the public.
– The 33A District Committee for the CK 55+ Senior Games have cancelled ALL Spring/Summer 55+ Games.
– Chatham Kent Tourism is postponing the upcoming Rural Tourism Symposium, set to take place at Ridgetown College on April 23, 2020.
– The Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts has postponed the performances by Durham County Poets scheduled for March 28, 2020 and Cliff Erickson scheduled for April 24, 2020.
– Community Living Chatham-Kent’s three Day Programs (Park Avenue, Riverview Drive, and Sass Road) and two Respite Programs (Children’s, and Adult) are closing effective March 17th, until further notice.
– Studio Hair Salon in Wallaceburg will be closed effective immediately until Mar 31. All appointments will be rescheduled.
– Municipal Centres in Blenheim, Chatham (Civic Centre), Chatham ServiceOntario, Dresden (including ServiceOntario), Ridgetown, Tilbury and Wallaceburg; including Municipal Information Desks in Bothwell, Thamesville and Wheatley; and the Park Avenue Business Centre in Chatham will be closed to the public until further notice.
– CKTransit says a reduction in service is taking effect Saturday, March 21 until further notice: Routes 1, 2, 3, and 4 will operate from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. only, Monday to Saturday, on a 30-minute schedule; Route 5 is suspended; Route 1 will service the bus stop in front of the Hospital and Courthouse; CKTransit On-Request evening service is suspended; the 6:45 p.m. departure for Inter-Urban Routes A, C, and D is suspended; all other Inter-Urban route departure times from the Chatham Terminal remain and Chatham and Wallaceburg Accessible hours are reduced to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Saturday, while the Sunday service is suspended.
– Restorative Justice Chatham-Kent’s site office is now closed until further notice.
– Wallaceburg Rotary is cancelling all hall rentals until further noptice. If you have any questions call Sussan at 519-627-1802.
– The Chatham-Kent Nonprofit Centre will be closed until further notice.
– All provincial parks will be closed to the public from March 19, 2020 until April 30, 2020.
– Effective immediately and until further notice, the business hours will be reduced to one-half day of counter service per week. Alternatively, customers may visit one of our municipal centres located in Blenheim, Chatham-Civic Centre, Dresden, Ridgetown, Tilbury and Wallaceburg.
– The Chatham-Kent Wallaceburg Employment Resource Centre, 786 Dufferin Ave. 2nd floor is temporarily closed. For employment related support please contact the Chatham-Kent Employment Resource Centre at 519-436-1123.
– Community Living Wallaceburg offices at 939 and 1100 Dufferin Ave. have been closed and they ask that people call them at 519-627.0777, ext 0.
– The CBD Club’s Junior Star Search is cancelled.
– The CBD Club in Wallaceburg is closed until March 31, 2020.
– As of 9 a.m. on March 17, 2020 the Wallaceburg Moose Lodge 1156 will be closed until March 31, 2020.
– The Wallaceburg BIA meeting scheduled for March 24, 2020 has been cancelled.
– The Knights of Columbus in Wallaceburg have postponed their Centennial Dinner, which had been slated for March 28.
– The Sydenham Field Naturalists have cancelled their annual banquet, which had been scheduled for April 1, 2020.
– Community Living Wallaceburg’s Box Lunch fundraiser has been postponed until the fall.
– As a result of an emergency declaration by the Province of Ontario the following establishments are legally required to close immediately: All facilities providing indoor recreational programs, all public libraries, all private schools as defined in the Education Act, all licensed child care centres, all bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout food and delivery and all theatres including those offering live performances of music, dance, and other art forms, as well as cinemas that show movies and concert venues.
– March 17, 2020: The Chatham-Kent Community Health Centres Walpole Island office will be closed the rest of the week. Urgent care can still be received at their #Wallaceburg location.
– All Cineplex movie theatres across the country, including Galaxy Cinemas Chatham, are closing until April, 2, 2020.
– All Entegrus office locations (320 Queen St. Chatham, 135 Edward St. St. Thomas, and 351 Frances St. Strathroy) will be closed to all outside visitors including customer walk-ins until further notice.
– The Municipality of Chatham-Kent has closed: All 11 branches of the Chatham-Kent Public Library, all 10 Chatham-Kent arenas, the Blenheim Gable Rees Rotary Pool and Wallaceburg Sydenham Pool, the Chatham-Kent Museum and Ridge House Museum (Including Imagination Station and Discovery Den), the Capitol and Kiwanis theatres, the Thames Art Gallery and Art Space.
– All licensed Child Care Centres in Chatham-Kent will be closed from March 14 to April 5. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-866-720-7975.
– Gary Conn, the Chief of the Chatham-Kent Police Service, has issued a statement on COVID-19 and the impact on police operations. Details, here.
– On Sunday, March 15, the Municipality of Chatham-Kent said long term care and retirement homes, hospice and supporting housing are only allow essential visitors into their facilities until further notice.
– Chatham-Kent Hospice has limited the number of visitors to 2 people per resident. Active screening will continue for all visitors. All bereavement support programs have been cancelled including one-on-one sessions. Individuals with pre-existing appointments will be contacted directly.
– Chatham Kent Tourism is postponing the upcoming Rural Tourism Symposium, set to take place at Ridgetown College on April 23, 2020.
– All Provincial Offences Court matters between March 16 and April 3 be adjourned to another date.
– The Wallaceburg and District Council for the Arts has postoned the performances by Durham County Poets, scheduled for March 28, 2020 and Cliff Erickson, scheduled for April 24, 2020.
– The animal shelters in Wallaceburg and Chatham are temporarily being closed to the public.
– The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 18 in Wallaceburg is closing for two weeks, starting March 16.
– The Wallaceburg Wellness Centre Studio Space is closed until further notice.
– As of March 16, the Wallaceburg Kinsmen community gym will be closed until further notice.
– The WAMBO meeting scheduled for March 19, 2020 is cancelled.
– The St. Clair Region Conservation Authority’s 2020 Maple Syrup Festival scheduled for March 21 and 22 is cancelled.
– Wallaceburg Hometown Bingo will be closing after their March 16 session and will be closed until further notice.
– Effective 11:59 p.m. on March 15, 2020, Baseball Ontario has suspended all in person baseball activities indefinitely. This suspension will remain in place at least through April 3, 2020. Umpire and coaching clinics are also cancelled.
– Chatham-Kent Housing is canceling the Awareness Programme planned to held on March 19, 25 and 27.
– As of March 17, 2020 all programs, activities and functions at the Wallaceburg Adult Activity Centre will be suspended. The Centre will be closed until further notice.
– The Sydenham Community Curling Club is closed for the season.
– The Chatham Granite Club has decided to end its season as
of Sunday, March 15, 2020.
– The Children’s Treatment Centre is closed to the public until April 6, 2020. All services, appointments, pool programs and community recreation programs are cancelled until that time. Appointments will be rescheduled after the Centre has re-opened.
– The Children’s Treatment Centre Foundation of Chatham-Kent has rescheduled the Festival of Giving from April 18, 2020 to October 17, 2020.
– The Riverview Gaming Centre in Chatham will be closed starting on Monday, March 16 until further notice.
– The Rotary Club of Dresden has decided to cancel their meetings until further notice.
– The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Commission (OLG) is temporarily closing all casinos across the province, which includes the Cascades Casino in Chatham.
– The Dresden Junior Kings have cancelled their spring camp.
– Wallaceburg Martial Arts Karate Camp is closed. All regular classes are cancelled until April 6.
– For the next two weeks at the Wallaceburg Adult Activity Centre, fitness classes on Monday’s at 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and chair fit at 4 p.m. as well as Thursday’s 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. classes will be cancelled.
– The Emergency Animal Rescue Fund event scheduled for March 28, 2020 at the Moose Lodge in Wallaceburg has been re-scheduled to April 18, 2020.
– The Chatham-Kent Accessibility Advisory Committee awards presentation that was scheduled to take place on Tuesday, March 17 at Eden Villa Retirement Assisted Living in Chatham is cancelled.
– All Chatham-Kent Community Health Centres programming has been cancelled until further notice.
– Chatham-Kent 4-H has suspended all meetings and events until at least April 3.
– The Shrewsbury Maple Syrup Festival is cancelled.
– The YMCA of Chatham-Kent is suspending all of their registered programming and all group fitness classes.
– Girl Guides of Canada will suspend all in-person Girl Guide activities until Tuesday, April 14.
– The Diocese of London has cancelled Sunday masses for the weekend of March 14 and 15.
– The Wallaceburg & District Museum is closing for three weeks from Sunday, March 15 to Tuesday, April 7.
– The constituency offices for Lianne Rood, the MP for Lambton-Kent-Middlesex, will be open for calls during regular office hours, but closed to in-person meetings and walk-ins. Rood had offices at 21 Arnold Street in Wallaceburg and 65 Front Street West in Strathroy.
– The Active Lifestyle Centre in Chatham is closed until April 5.
– The Chatham Home & Garden Show is postponed.
– The Chatham-Kent Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards Banquet, set for April 16, is postponed.
– The Kiwanis Club of Chatham has cancelled their annual music festival.
– Retrofest, an annual car show and celebration held at the end of May in Chatham, has been cancelled.
– The Wallaceburg Concert Band is suspending operations until there are indications from authorities that it is once again safe to gather.
– The KAYO Boxing Club closed until April 4th.
– Chatham Kent Wildcats basketball practices and games are suspended until April 5 or as long as schools are closed.
– The Wallaceburg Minor Baseball Association’s Winterball program will be cancelled until April 5 or as long as the schools are closed.
– The Wallaceburg Flying W’s gymnastics club will be closed from March 16 to April 5 .
– All LKSSAA activities, including games, tournaments and practices, have been postponed until further notice.
– The Wallaceburg Skating Club has cancelled their upcoming March 28 ice show and they have suspended the remainder of the season.
– The Ontario Minor Hockey Association announced on Thursday, March 12, they have suspended all hockey activities across the province.
– The Provincial Junior Hockey League season and playoffs have been cancelled.
– The Chatham-Kent Cougars football program is halting operations until April.
– All hockey activity in the OHL has been be paused until further notice.
– Professional sports leagues have all suspended play, including: the National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, National Lacrosse League and the PGA Tour.
– Walpole Island First Nation Council has suspended all business travel for staff and Council, in an effort to be proactive and limit exposure to vulnerable populations.
– The Wallaceburg & District Chamber of Commerce’s Connect@5 event, formerly Business After Hours, slated to be held on March 19, 2020 at the Wallaceburg Retirement Residence is cancelled.
– The House of Commons has adjourned until April 20.
This page will be updated on a daily basis. If you have a COVID-19 related cancellation or closure, contact the Sydenham Current team through their Facebook page, here, or by emailing email@example.com.