Premier Doug Ford today confirmed that the Honourable Edith Dumont, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, has accepted the premier’s advice to sign a proclamation dissolving the 43rd Parliament of the Province of Ontario, effective as of 4 p.m. today, January 28, 2025.
Pursuant to the provisions of the Election Act, the Lieutenant Governor also called for the issuance of writs for the general election to be issued January 29, 2025, and named February 27, 2025, as the date of Ontario’s next general election, Provincial officials said in a media release.
Premier Ford confirmed last week that the election call was coming.
“We need a mandate from the people to fight against Donald Trump’s tariffs, the attack he’s coming against our families, our businesses, our communities,” Ford said during a press conference in Brampton on Friday.
“With a strong mandate, we will be able to fight with Donald Trump to make sure we stop the tariffs and make sure that we give certainty to the people of Ontario. It may take investing tens of billions of dollars. There’s no different than during the pandemic.”
The Premier added: “We’ll make sure we secure people’s livelihoods and I will do whatever it takes to protect the people of Ontario, in turn, because we’re the engine of Canada, protecting all Canadians, we will not back down.”
We’ll provide more details when they become available.















